With a proud heritage dating back to 1869, Morris Lubricants is one of the largest privately-owned manufacturers of high-quality lubricants in Europe. For 150 years, we have developed a global reputation for delivering the highest quality products and services across a range of market sectors in more than 90 countries worldwide.
Our Head Office and main production facilities are based in the centre of Shrewsbury.
Further information on the company history and products can be found on our website at:
Morris Lubricants is a trading division of Paterson Enterprises Limited.
This permanent role, subject to a successful trial period, reports to the Technical Director and is based within the Laboratory. The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with all members of the Laboratory and Technical teams to deliver support to the other departments within Morris Lubricants, and also to customers.
The role presents an opportunity to learn the basics of lubrication and to gain an understanding of the chemistry of different types of lubricants such that the successful candidate can perform and assist in a variety of roles within the department.
Other tasks and functions may be requested to be undertaken depending upon the activities of the Laboratory and Technical departments.
The successful candidate must comply with the Company policies and procedures, including health and safety, at all times. Working with chemicals they would be expected to be aware of potential hazards of the product in use through product labelling and safety data sheet information.
Our graduate programme has been designed to maximise performance through a structured training and development path which will include a mix of on-the-job training, external development activities and one-to-one mentoring. Underpinning company and product knowledge will be gained through rotation of the key business areas during the first 6 months. To support your personal and professional development, following successful completion of a 6-month probationary period, you will be enrolled on the Discovery Emerging Leaders 18-month programme.
Key Tasks and Duties to perform/assist
- Assisting in development programs by performing blend studies and analysing the blends produced against the required parameters. Knowledge gained will allow those blends that do not initially meet the necessary requirements to be adjusted.
- Studies may involve new product requirements, and/or product reformulations due to changes in environmental and health/supply hazards of particular chemicals.
- Evaluating alternative raw materials, these being either similar components from alternative suppliers, or different chemistries designed to perform a similar function within a product.
- Liaising with the Area Sales Managers and customers to help identify new product opportunities and necessary additions to the product range. Helping with the formulation of such products.
- Identifying and liaising with Suppliers regarding components for specific applications, and in conjunction with the Purchasing department ensure these can be purchased and utilised within the necessary cost restrictions.
- Analysing laboratory blends as part of development programs.
- Assisting in the testing of existing products and raw materials to ensure adherence to written specifications as part of the Quality Assurance process.
- Familiarisation and use of the Laboratory Management System in order to be able to input specifications for new products, amend existing specifications and input results etc.
- Assisting in the testing of field samples as part of product trials and/or customer complaints.
- Recommending adjustments to products found to fall outside of the written specification and to re-test following the blend adjustments.
- By understanding the properties of lubricants and the layout and restrictions of the blending plant, recommendations and written instructions can be given for production processes of various lubricants in an economic manner that preserves product quality and avoids unnecessary contamination.
- Recommendation of possible uses for obsolete and/or rejected products and raw materials. Alternatively, to advise on disposal routes.
- Generation of statistics on blend adjustments and to instigate projects to minimize future adjustments by reformulation or changes to specification etc.
- Providing advice and assistance on any future proposed projects with respect to blending processes and manufacture.
Expected Experience and Attributes
- Degree-level qualifications in Chemistry or related subject.
- Experience of Chemical Analysis techniques.
- Ability to write reports and keep good records.
- Able to communicate with all levels from ‘shop floor’ to Senior Management.
- General computer skills to include Excel.
- Self-motivated and able to manage their own work and projects in a time efficient manner.
- Ability to work within a team.
- Valid driving licence (within 6 months after commencement of employment).
The following attributes would be beneficial but not essential as full training will be given.
- Experience of the Lubricants Industry.
- Experience with chemical analysis techniques such as ICP, XRF, FTIR and other testing equipment more specific to the Lubricants Industry.
- Knowledge of the composition of various lubricant Formulations.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive starting salary, circa £23,000.
- Full-time holiday entitlement starting at 23 days per year, plus the bank and public holidays, increasing with service.
- Generous pension scheme (employer 10% and employee 3% contribution) with life assurance up to 10 x salary (after three months’ service).
- Company sick pay (after 6 months’ service).
- Company shares scheme (subject to certain qualifying conditions).
- Healthcare cashback plan (discretionary and after 3 months’ service).
- Free private on-site parking.
- Free refreshments.
Key Terms & Conditions
- Proposed start date: 1st July 2021 onwards.
- Chemistry or Chemical Engineering degree level to 2:1 (or higher) and completed within the last 3 years.
- This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Normal hours of work are 8.45am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday (36.25 hours per week) with an unpaid break of 1 hour for lunch.
- Notice period after successful completion of 6-month probationary period will be 4 weeks.
Paterson Enterprises Limited is committed to treating everyone who works for the company fairly, openly, honestly and with dignity and respect at all times. We seek to ensure equality of opportunity in all areas of employment, including the recruitment and selection process, with the selection of employees based solely on merit.
All applications will be processed through Discovery, the retained managing consultants. Due to high volumes of applications, only those successful on application will be contacted for interviews.